At a Glance
One of the fundamental prerequisites for obtaining a Wells Fargo credit card is maintaining a satisfactory credit score. As of now, Wells Fargo typically expects applicants to have a credit score of at least 670 to secure approval for their credit cards. Please note that this score may vary depending on the specific card type you are applying for. This guide focuses on five different types of Wells Fargo credit cards, each of which will appeal to a myriad of consumers.
In this article, learn more about:
- Basic Wells Fargo credit card requirements
- Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card requirements
- Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card requirements
- Wells Fargo Reflect® Card requirements
- Bilt Mastercard® requirements
- Choice Privileges® credit card requirements
- Wells Fargo application rules you need to be aware of
- How to prequalify for a Wells Fargo credit card
- How to improve credit if you don’t meet Wells Fargo minimum requirements
The average VantageScore 4.0 credit score as of September 2023.
Basic Wells Fargo credit card requirements
- Good credit: Wells Fargo requires a good to excellent credit score (670+) for most cards it offers.
- Physical U.S. address: You must live within the U.S. and provide a physical address (not a P.O. box) to apply.
- Social Security Number (SSN): Wells Fargo will use your SSN to confirm your identity and check your credit.
- 18+ years old: You must be at least 18 years old to apply and get approved for a Wells Fargo credit card.
- Stable income: Wells Fargo will confirm you have a stable income before approving your credit card application. This helps ensure you’re able to repay the credit you borrow.
- No recent Wells Fargo credit account openings: You will likely not get approved for a Wells Fargo credit card if you have opened another card in the last six months.
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card requirements
The Wells Fargo Active Cash Card stands out as a commendable choice in the realm of cashback credit cards, offering users a straightforward and lucrative rewards program. With unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases and a generous welcome bonus, it caters to a wide range of spending habits making it a compelling option for individuals seeking a reliable cashback credit card.
Securing approval for the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card involves meeting certain eligibility criteria, including a satisfactory credit history and a stable financial profile. Applicants are typically evaluated based on factors such as income, credit score, and debt-to-income ratio, ensuring responsible lending practices and financial stability.
Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card requirements
The Wells Fargo Autograph Card represents a unique blend of financial convenience and personalized expression, allowing customers to add a personal touch to their credit card. As Wells Fargo continues to prioritize customer experience, the Autograph Card stands out as a testament to the bank’s commitment to providing both functional and personal financial solutions.
To increase your chances of getting approved for the Wells Fargo Autograph Card, applicants typically need to demonstrate a solid credit history, showcasing responsible financial behavior. Meeting income requirements and providing accurate and verifiable personal information are also crucial elements in the approval process.
Wells Fargo Reflect® Card requirements
The Wells Fargo Reflect Card introduces a unique approach to credit cards, placing a strong emphasis on financial well-being. With features like real-time spending insights and personalized budgeting tools, it empowers users to make informed financial decisions.
Approval for the Wells Fargo Reflect Card hinges on meeting specific eligibility criteria, which typically include a stable income, a positive credit history, and a responsible financial track record. These requirements serve as vital benchmarks for financial institutions to assess an applicant’s creditworthiness and ensure responsible credit usage.
Bilt Mastercard® requirements
With its innovative approach to combining rental payments and credit card functionality, Bilt MasterCard simplifies financial management for tenants, providing a seamless and rewarding experience. This unique integration sets it apart, making it a noteworthy choice for individuals seeking convenience and efficiency in their financial transactions.
Securing approval for the Bilt Mastercard entails meeting certain eligibility criteria, including a stable credit history and a sufficient income level.
Choice Privileges® credit card requirements
The Choice Privileges Credit Card stands out as a compelling option for frequent travelers, offering an array of benefits that extend beyond typical rewards programs. With its generous points system and flexible redemption options, cardholders can enjoy diverse travel experiences while maximizing their rewards.
If you want to get approved for the Choice Privileges credit card, you must demonstrate a solid credit history and a responsible financial track record. Meeting the issuer’s specific income requirements and maintaining a favorable credit score are key factors that contribute to a successful application process.
Wells Fargo application rules you need to be aware of
In addition to the specified credit score requirements, there are some lesser-known rules that applicants should be aware of when seeking a Wells Fargo credit card. For instance, Wells Fargo tends to be cautious about applicants who have opened numerous credit card accounts, especially within a short timeframe, including with Wells Fargo itself.
Additionally, it’s important to note that Welcome Bonus offers are typically not granted if you have already received one in the past 15 months. This rule remains in effect even if you close the credit card account for which you initially received the welcome bonus.
How to prequalify for a Wells Fargo credit card
To prequalify for a Wells Fargo credit card, you can follow these general steps:
1. Visit Wells Fargo’s prequalification page: Start by visiting Wells Fargo’s official website and navigate to their credit card prequalification page. This page is designed to give you an idea of which credit cards you may be eligible for based on your credit profile.
2. Provide personal information: Fill out the required information, which typically includes your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, and other financial details. Make sure the information you provide is accurate.
3. Consent to a soft credit check: When you prequalify for a credit card, the bank usually performs a soft inquiry on your credit report. Soft inquiries do not impact your credit score. You will need to consent to this check as part of the prequalification process.
4. Review prequalified offers: After submitting your information, you will receive a list of credit cards for which you may be prequalified. Take the time to review these offers, considering the terms, rewards, and features of each card.
5. Choose the right card: If you find a prequalified offer that meets your needs, you can proceed to apply for that specific credit card. Keep in mind that prequalification is not a guarantee of approval; it’s an indication that you meet certain criteria.
6. Complete the application: If you decide to move forward, you will need to complete the full credit card application. This may involve providing additional details about your income, employment, and other financial information.
7. Wait for approval: After submitting your application, Wells Fargo will review your information and make a decision. If approved, you will receive your new credit card, and if denied, you will be informed of the reasons for the denial.
It’s important to note that prequalification is not a guarantee of approval, and the final decision is made based on a thorough review of your credit history and financial situation. Additionally, the specific steps and requirements may vary, so it’s advisable to check with Wells Fargo directly or refer to their official website for the most up-to-date information.
How to improve your credit if you don’t meet Wells Fargo minimum requirements
For those who don’t meet the requirements for credit cards offered by Wells Fargo, it’s important to learn how to improve your credit:
1. Pay on time: The best way to improve your credit is by making all your payments on time. Payment history makes up 35% of your score and missed payments can have a serious negative impact; however, on-time payments can help increase your score.
2. Reduce your credit card debt: Your debt-to-income ratio is how much debt you have compared to how much you make. It’s recommended to keep your ratio lower than 36%, and a high ratio can impact your score. Reduce or completely pay off existing credit card debt to help improve your score.
3. Check your credit report: Regularly checking your credit reports can help you stay on top of your score and better understand how your actions are helping or hurting it. Plus, you can keep an eye out for any mistakes or errors that need to be corrected.
Learn more: How to Improve Your Credit Score
In most cases, a decision on an application will be instantaneous. In some cases, it could take longer. Generally, it takes 3 to 4 business days to receive a new card in the mail.
Wells Fargo offers a variety of credit cards suitable for borrowers at various credit levels, making credit accessible to a broad range of consumers. While starter cards are among the easiest to obtain, they still require a certain level of creditworthiness.
Compare: Best Wells Fargo Credit Cards
In most cases, Wells Fargo focuses on an individual’s FICO credit score.