0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
20.24%-25.24%, or 29.99% variable APR
$200 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in the first three months from account opening.
You can redeem cash back for purchases, to your account, at an ATM, for gift cards, or through PayPal.
With highly competitive rewards rates and numerous perks to take advantage of, the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card is in a league of its own. It rewards cash back on grocery, gas and drug store purchases for each dollar spent, giving customers the flexibility to save money on items they already buy, or even just receive rewards points when making regular purchases. The rewards rates offered far surpass those of nearly any other cash rewards cards out there, allowing users to save more money while enjoying easy-to-redeem rewards.
|Cell phone protection up to $600
|2% back is low compared to other 5% back cards
|0% APR on transfers and purchases for 15 months
|Foreign transaction fees
|$200 sign up bonus
|No spending cap
|Unlimited 2% cash rewards on purchases with several redemption options
Wells Fargo is a great bank, so it is natural to want a credit card that is linked to them. This card comes with no annual fee and a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening, so we love it for those new to the credit card game and want to get their feet wet. There is less risk with this card than others and it is easy to understand how to use and earn.
Wells Fargo Active Cash®
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
0% for 15 months on transfers made within the first 120 days from account opening.
3% of each transaction converted to US dollars.
Up to $40.
Get $600 of protection against damage or theft when you pay your monthly cell phone bill with your card. Subject to a $25 deductible.
Keep your account secure with voice verification and 2-step verification at sign on.
Pay bills or check account activity using the easy to use mobile app.
As long as transactions are reported promptly, you are never held responsible for unauthorized purchases on your account.
Speed through checkout by tapping your card at contactless checkouts.
Contact a Visa Signature Concierge for help with travel, dining, or entertainment 24/7/365.
Stay at luxury hotels through the Visa Signature Collection.
The Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card distinguishes itself with its uncomplicated yet rewarding cash back structure, introductory APR benefits, no annual fee, additional perks like cell phone protection, and the reliability of being backed by a reputable financial institution. These features collectively make it a compelling choice for individuals seeking a versatile and user-friendly cash back credit card:
1. Generous Flat Cash Back Rewards
One of the most attractive features of the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card is its straightforward cash back rewards structure. Cardholders earn an unlimited 2% cash back on every purchase, making it a hassle-free choice for those who prefer a simple and transparent rewards system.
2. Introductory 0% APR Period
The card offers a valuable introductory 0% APR period on both purchases and balance transfers. This feature can be particularly beneficial for those looking to make a large purchase or consolidate existing high-interest debt without incurring additional interest charges during the introductory period.
3. No Annual Fee
The absence of an annual fee makes the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card an even more attractive option for individuals who want to maximize their cash back rewards without having to worry about recurring costs.
4. Cell Phone Protection
Wells Fargo offers an added layer of protection for cardholders’ cell phones. By paying your monthly cell phone bill with the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card, you automatically receive cell phone protection coverage. This feature can be a valuable perk, providing peace of mind in case of theft or damage to your device.
5. Wide Acceptance and Access to Wells Fargo’s Online and Mobile Banking
With the backing of Wells Fargo, one of the largest and most established financial institutions, cardholders can enjoy widespread acceptance of their credit card. Additionally, the card integrates seamlessly with Wells Fargo’s online and mobile banking platforms, allowing for easy management of your account, quick access to statements, and the ability to monitor your cash back rewards in real-time.
6. Accessible Welcome Bonus
You only have to spend $500 in the first three months of opening the card to earn a $200 cash rewards bonus. While the bonus is small compared to other cards, it is also more achievable than other options.
While the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card offers a range of appealing features, it’s important for potential cardholders to be aware of some drawbacks and considerations before deciding. Here are key factors to keep in mind:
1. Foreign Transaction Fees
Unlike some other credit cards, the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card comes with foreign transaction fees. If you frequently travel internationally or make purchases in foreign currencies, these fees can add up quickly and offset the cash back benefits.
2. Limited Bonus Categories
The card’s strength lies in its simplicity, offering a flat 2% cash back on all purchases. However, if you are someone who spends heavily in specific categories such as dining, travel, or groceries, you may find that other credit cards with bonus categories better suit your spending habits. It’s essential to evaluate your personal spending patterns to determine if the card aligns with your lifestyle.
3. Credit Score Requirements
As with any credit card, approval is subject to creditworthiness. The Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card may require a good to excellent credit score for eligibility. Individuals with lower credit scores may find it challenging to qualify for this particular card.
4. Limited Additional Perks
While the card offers cell phone protection, it lacks some of the premium perks and benefits that come with higher-tier credit cards, such as travel insurance, extended warranty protection, or airport lounge access. If these additional perks are essential for your lifestyle, you may want to explore credit cards that cater to such needs, even if they come with an annual fee.
5. Variable APR after the Introductory Period
While the card provides a beneficial introductory 0% APR period, it’s important to note that the APR becomes variable after this period ends. Cardholders who carry a balance should be aware of the ongoing interest rates, which can vary based on the market conditions and their creditworthiness.
Choosing a credit card is a personal decision that should align with your individual financial habits and preferences. To determine whether the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card is the right fit for you, consider the following factors:
1. Spending Habits: Evaluate your typical spending patterns. The Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card is designed for simplicity, offering a flat 2% cash back on all purchases. If your spending is diverse and you prefer a no-fuss rewards structure without dealing with rotating categories, this card may be an excellent match.
2. Desire for Bonus Categories: That said, consider whether you prefer credit cards with bonus categories tailored to specific spending areas such as dining, travel, or groceries. If you have clear preferences for certain spending categories, you might find other cards with specialized rewards more advantageous.
3. International Usage: If you frequently travel abroad or make purchases in foreign currencies, be mindful of the foreign transaction fees associated with this card. If international transactions are a significant part of your financial activity, you may want to explore credit cards with no foreign transaction fees to save on additional costs.
4. Interest in Introductory APR Benefits: If you anticipate carrying a balance or making a large purchase, the introductory 0% APR period on purchases and balance transfers can be a valuable feature.
5. Credit Score: Check your credit score before applying for the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card. This card typically requires a good to excellent credit score for approval. If your credit score is lower, you may want to work on improving it before applying or explore cards that cater to individuals with varying credit profiles.
6. Annual Fee Tolerance: Consider your stance on annual fees. The Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card stands out by not charging an annual fee, making it a cost-effective choice for those who want to maximize cash back rewards without ongoing fees.
7. Importance of Additional Perks: Assess the importance of additional perks and benefits, such as travel insurance, extended warranty protection, or airport lounge access. If you value these extras, you might want to explore premium credit cards that come with a more extensive range of benefits, even if they come with an annual fee.
8. Long-Term Rewards Strategy: Consider your long-term financial goals and how the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card fits into your overall rewards strategy. While it may lack a traditional sign-up bonus, the consistent 2% cash back on all purchases can provide steady and reliable rewards over time.
To get the most value, you can pair this card with a travel rewards credit card like the Delta American Express Gold Card, so you earn points to use on airfare. Use this card to get money back on day-to-day purchases and collect points on your travel rewards card to save up for travel.
Apply now: Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Yes, the Wells Fargo Active Cash card charges a 3% fee for each foreign transaction amount.
Yes, this card provides an auto rental collision damage waiver, which covers reimburses you if a covered accident or theft occurs to the rental car.
Yes, like most credit cards, the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card can contribute to building credit when used responsibly. Here’s how:
1. Payment History: Your payment history is a crucial factor in your credit score. Making payments on time each month will have a positive impact on your credit history. Conversely, late payments can have a negative effect.
2. Credit Utilization: The card’s credit limit and your balance affect your credit utilization ratio, which is the amount of credit you’re using compared to your total available credit.
3. Credit Mix: Having a mix of different types of credit, including credit cards, can contribute positively to your credit score.
4. Length of Credit History: The longer you have a credit card account open, the more it positively affects your credit score.
5. New Credit: Opening a new credit card account can initially have a small negative impact on your credit score due to the inquiry and the new account. However, this impact is usually temporary, and as you use the card responsibly, it can contribute positively to your credit profile over time.
It’s essential to use the Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card responsibly by paying your bills on time, keeping your credit utilization low, and managing your overall credit responsibly.